6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit covers advanced practical accounting issues and the recommended accounting treatment prescribed by the underlying theories and conceptual framework of accounting. The extended knowledge of the regulatory bodies and the views of the accounting profession are blended into the contents of the unit.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- critically analyse how standard setting procedures and theories of regulation are formulated and their contribution to financial reporting globally
- apply the definition and recognition criteria for elements of financial statements and examine the associated issues
- apply accounting standards and the conceptual framework in the preparation and presentation of financial statements and the capital market
- examine contemporary financial accounting issues
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills in dealing with advanced reporting issues and demonstrate in an individual summative assessment task the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the topics covered by ACW3491.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
Students must have passed either ACW2491 or AFW2491