[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Home Monash Info News and Events Campuses and Faculties Monash University
Monash University Handbooks


Lawyers ethics and society 506 (6 points)


Leader: Associate Professor Adrian Evans/Mr Matthew Harvey

Clayton First semester 2003 (Day)
Clayton Second semester 2003 (Day)
Clayton Summer 2003 (Day)
Clayton First semester 2004 (Day)
Clayton Second semester 2004 (Day)
Clayton Summer 2004 (Day)

Synopsis: History, organisation, education, functions and regulation of barristers and solicitors in Victoria and elsewhere. Reform issues. The nature and significance of a profession. Independence of courts and lawyers. The changing face of dispute resolution, the cost of justice and different modes of legal service delivery. Standards of professional conduct, complaints and disciplinary procedures. Ethical rules and moral values. The subject meets the requirements of the Council of Legal Education for admission to practice in Victoria in the area of 'professional conduct' (including basic trust accounting).

Assessment: A 60 minute class test (trust accounting): 20% AND EITHER: A written research assignment (2000 words): 30% + Final examination (1.5 hours): 50% OR a Final Examination (2.5 hours): 80% [Please note: students who wish to be admitted to legal practice in Victoria via Articles of Clerkship must obtain a pass in the trust accounting class test.]

Contact Hours: Three hours of lectures per week

Prerequisites: LAW2100, LAW2200

Help | Contacts | Site Map | Staff Directory | Search