<< >>


Faculty strengths

The faculty has identified the following areas of conspicuous strength and potential: applied social research, Australian studies, contemporary Asian studies, critical and cultural studies, European studies, environment and ecology, language and society, women's studies. This identification of faculty priorities led to the development of new interdepartmental and interfaculty courses and programs, particularly at masters level, with special expansions occurring in MA by coursework programs.

Responsibility for course advice

Students are advised that, while the faculty will endeavour to give every possible assistance and advice concerning course and subject choice, the onus is on the students to ensure that subjects selected meet the degree regulations and requirements. This is not the faculty's responsibility and the faculty does not take responsibility for error in subject selection.

Doctor of Philosophy

The degree of Doctor of Philosophy is undertaken by thesis, and students may enrol as full-time or part-time candidates. At present the maximum period of candidature is five years full-time or its equivalent in part-time candidature up to a maximum of eight years of part-time study.

Candidates qualified for either a bachelors degree with honours class I or honours class II division A, or the equivalent, or a masters degree (H2A equivalent) are eligible for admission. In addition, the PhD regulations make provision for research masters degree candidates to transfer their candidature after a period of satisfactory performance.

All matters concerning the degree of PhD are handled by the PhD and Scholarships Committee of the Academic Board. The Faculty of Arts Committee for Graduate Studies transmits all recommendations regarding the PhD candidature of arts students to this committee.

Additional information about the Doctor of Philosophy is available from the PhD and EdD information handbook, and in condensed form, below.

Master of Arts

The research degree of Master of Arts may be undertaken by thesis or by thesis and coursework. There is also a Master of Arts undertaken entirely by coursework. However, all departments/centres do not necessarily offer the three options. The Faculty of Arts guidelines for the normal length of theses are as follows:

Prior to 1995 some programs offered a minor thesis of 18-25,000 words. Students who started prior to 1995 are encouraged - after consultation with their department or centre - to undertake a 66% or 75% thesis if available in their program, but have the option of undertaking a minor thesis.

The minimum duration of candidature for a masters degree is one year of full-time or two years of part-time study, and the maximum period of full-time candidature is three years except where the course of study prescribes a specific time limit. The degree may also be undertaken by part-time students over a period not exceeding five years. Students, whether full-time or part-time, must be able to attend the university regularly.

Entry requirements

Applicants who have a pass degree with credit level grades or better in at least the third part of a major sequence relevant to the discipline to which admission is sought, or the equivalent, may be admitted to Part I of a Master of Arts program.

An honours grade in the relevant discipline may admit a candidate to a program as follows:

On the recommendation of the head of the department or the director of the centre and with the approval of the Committee for Graduate Studies an applicant who has completed a graduate diploma with credit level grades or above in all subjects may be admitted directly to Part II of either the research or the coursework degree.

Applicants should check the entry requirements detailed under the various programs for more specific details, including the definition of `relevant disciplines'. Please note that these are the minimum entry requirements and that they may differ from program to program and from time to time.

Part I and Part II

The Master of Arts programs by thesis and coursework and by coursework only are divided into two parts, namely Part I and Part II.

A candidate admitted into Part I of the degree must achieve at least credit level grades in all subjects before proceeding to Part II of the degree unless otherwise allowed by the board of examiners.

Candidates undertaking a coursework only program undertake subjects to the value of forty-eight points in Part I and a further forty-eight points in Part II. One of the subjects in Part II may be a research project. To qualify for the degree of Master of Arts candidates will need to have undertaken a total of ninety-six points and have obtained credit level grades or above in all subjects.

Candidates undertaking a thesis combined with a coursework program also undertake subjects to the value of forty-eight points in Part I. In Part II candidates undertake sixteen points of coursework subjects plus a 66 per cent thesis, or twelve points of coursework subjects plus a 75 per cent thesis, depending on the program. Each department or centre outlines its research programs and lists the thesis percentage and the number of subjects to be undertaken. To qualify for the degree of Master of Arts candidates need to obtain credit grades or above in their subjects and for their thesis.

The administration of the Master of Arts degree, including the formal admission of students to candidature and whether a student has formally qualified for the degree, is under the control of the Arts faculty board. In this matter and on all related questions the faculty board relies on the advice of its Committee for Graduate Studies.

Master of Bioethics and Graduate Diploma of Bioethics

The growth of scientific knowledge and technical ability in medicine and the biological sciences has led to ethical problems that perplex us all. The graduate program in bioethics aims to develop in students a deeper understanding of the considerations that should enter into ethically sensitive decisions. It is of particular interest to those working in the health care field, but is also taken by students primarily interested in clarifying their own ethical views and learning more about the issues our society must resolve in this rapidly developing area of applied ethics.

Two programs are offered: a Graduate Diploma of Bioethics, and a Master of Bioethics. Students wishing to enter the graduate diploma must have (a) a degree in medicine or any other health science, in law, the biological or social sciences, or in a branch of the humanities, such as philosophy (or other degree as approved by the faculty board), requiring the equivalent of not less than three years full-time study in an approved tertiary institution; or (b) qualifications and experience which in the opinion of the faculty board are a suitable preparation for the candidate's proposed field of study. For enrolment in the Master of Bioethics, applicants should have (a) a degree in an appropriate field requiring the equivalent of not less than four years full-time study, or (b) a three-year degree in any of the fields referred to above, plus not less than two years relevant practical experience, or (c) equivalent qualifications and experience.

Master of Environmental Science

The Master of Environmental Science degree by coursework and research project is taken over two years of full-time study or five years of part-time study. A wide range of coursework subjects is available to educate students about the broad physical and social patterns of environmental change, emphasising the value of understanding the environment through practical projects undertaken within a framework of social and philosophical theory. Applicants should possess a four-year bachelors degree or its equivalent, or a three-year bachelors degree or its equivalent, plus two years of suitable experience.

Graduate Diploma of Arts and Graduate Diploma of Environmental Science

The graduate diploma is a postgraduate qualification designed for students who have completed either a pass degree or an honours degree and wish to undertake further work at graduate level. This work is not research-oriented and consists of subjects to the value of forty-eight points chosen from those offered by the relevant department or centre. The programs are primarily designed for part-time students but may also be undertaken in one year of full-time study. The maximum timeframe for completion is three years. Students will not be permitted to gain credit for any subject in which there is a significant overlap with work credited towards another qualification.

The Graduate Diploma of Arts will be offered in the following fields of study:

A Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science is also offered.

Fees for local students (in 1996)

Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS)

Each semester, students incur a HECS liability which is proportional to the normal full-time course load. This liability can be paid `up front' upon receipt of the fees advice form or it can be discharged through the taxation system after a certain level of income has been reached. The amount shown on the fees advice form, for students who have chosen to pay up front, is the net amount (after deducting the discount) and must be paid in full by the due date shown.

The HECS liability is calculated each semester at the census date (on 31 March in first semester and 31 August in second semester). If subjects are discontinued after the census date, a HECS liability is still incurred. A detailed description of HECS is found in the HECS booklet which is given to all students at enrolment. Students can acquire another copy at the student administration office upon request. Students should look at the booklet each year, in case there are any changes to the policies. Those who choose to defer their HECS payment and pay through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) must provide a tax file number (TFN) at enrolment and also have the right to make payments direct to the ATO at any time.

Students who move and change address must make sure that they advise the ATO of their new address, since they use it to verify the TFN.

Students who do not attend a class (or classes) but fail to discontinue officially in writing are HECS liable.

There is a limited number of HECS exemption scholarships available on a fist-come first-served basis to the following postgraduate students: Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) holders; full-time candidates for the degree of PhD who are within four years of equivalent full-time candidature. Faculties will also allocate a small number of HECS exemption scholarships according to principles decided by the graduate committee of the faculty.

Candidates for graduate diplomas and postgraduate degrees of bachelor are not eligible for HECS exemption scholarships.

Student amenities fees

The student amenities fees for courses vary from year to year, but in 1996 they were:

There is no part-time, level 2 fee for masters degree candidates defined as research candidates or for PhD candidates. Masters degree candidates defined as research candidates and PhD candidates who, at the time of re-enrolment, have received written permission to write the thesis away from the university are not charged an amenities fee.

Students with permission to study abroad on fieldwork are required to pay the normal fees.

For refunds and assessments for studies less than the whole year, refer to `Refund' section below.

Students who are full-time members of the university staff at the time of enrolment have their union fee reduced by the component paid by the university ($29 in 1996).

Extension of time to pay fees

Students suffering from conditions of financial hardship may apply for a short-term extension to pay fees. However, this avenue is generally only available to re-enrolling students with respect to the amenities fee. Application forms may be obtained from the fees branch office on any campus.Only students with genuine financial problems should apply and applications must be made before the due date for payment shown on your enrolment and fees advice form. One extension only will be possible per semester, and if students fail to pay by the agreed extension date they will be charged for late payment of fees (up to one week late, $80), and may risk their enrolment being invalidated.

Postgraduate awards

Main awards

The main awards available to graduate students are Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA), and Monash Graduate Scholarships (MGS). Graduates or graduands of any Australian or overseas university are eligible to apply for the MGS, but Australian Postgraduate Awards are available only to Australian citizens or persons with permanent resident status.

Applications for APA or MGS should be lodged at the Research Training and Support Branch office by October 31, each year.

Further inquiries should be directed to Mr Mark Bartholomeusz, telephone (03) 9905 3009, Research Training and Support Branch, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3168.

Higher Education Contribution Scheme (HECS) exemption scholarships

As part of the Higher Education Contribution Scheme introduced on 1 January 1989, a system of postgraduate scholarships providing exemption from liability for a given year of study has been implemented. International students and fee-paying students enrolled in postgraduate courses for which fees have been approved are exempt from the HECS liability and therefore not eligible for these exemption scholarships.

In accordance with the 1991 Commonwealth Department of Employment, Education and Training guidelines most Australian citizens and permanent residents undertaking full-time study for a PhD or masters by research degree were granted an exemption.

Further information on HECS exemptions is available from Research Training and Support Branch, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3168.

Australian Government awards for international students

Australian Development Cooperation Scholarship (ADCOS)

Australian Sponsored Training Scholarships (ASTAS)

The above two schemes, formerly the John Crawford Scholarship Scheme, are open to applicants from participating developing countries. These scholarships will cover course fees and may provide living and other allowances, including travel. Further details and application forms may be obtained from any Australian Diplomatic Mission or the Australian Education Centre accredited to countries in which scholarships are available. Application forms for the above schemes are not available from Monash University.

Overseas postgraduate research scholarships scheme for students from developing countries (OPRS)

This second category of scholarships will meet full-fee costs only; no stipend or allowances are payable. International students may, however, apply for an OPRS simultaneously with an MGS scholarship. Like all other scholarships applied for at Monash University, the OPRS are awarded strictly on the basis of academic achievement. It should also be noted that only students whose research interests coincide with the university's current research concentrations will be eligible for nomination by institutions for these scholarships.

Further information on these awards is available from the Research Training and Support Branch, Monash University.

<< >>
Handbook Contents | Faculty Handbooks | Monash University
Published by Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3168
Copyright © Monash University 1996 - All Rights Reserved - Caution
Authorised by the Academic Registrar December 1996