units

PSC2021

Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences

Undergraduate - Unit

This unit entry is for students who completed this unit in 2013 only. For students planning to study the unit, please refer to the unit indexes in the the current edition of the Handbook. If you have any queries contact the managing faculty for your course or area of study.

print version

6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL

To find units available for enrolment in the current year, you must make sure you use the indexes and browse unit tool in the current edition of the Handbook.

LevelUndergraduate
FacultyFaculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
OfferedParkville First semester 2013 (Day)
Coordinator(s)Prof. Peter Scammells

Synopsis

Structural Organic Chemistry lays a foundation of knowledge about the structure and reactivity of the key functional groups found in pharmaceutical compounds. These general topics are relevant to drug design, the synthesis of bioactive molecules, drug-target interactions and drug formulation.

Outcomes

At the end of this unit students will develop:

  1. A detailed knowledge of the structure of common functional groups contained in pharmaceuticals;
  2. A detailed knowledge of the properties of functional groups, with a particular focus on steric, electronic and acid/base properties relevant to drug discovery and formulation;
  3. An understanding of the reactivity of these functional groups;
  4. An understanding of basic reaction mechanisms, kinetics and thermodynamics;
  5. The practical ability to
    1. perform a basic chemical reaction
    2. purify the product(s)
    3. analyse and characterise the product(s).

Assessment

Mid semester exam 20%, end of semester exam 50% (total theory component 70%)
Practical reports 20%, practical exam 10% (total practical component 30%)

Chief examiner(s)

Contact hours

Contact hours for on-campus students:
Thirty 1-hour lectures
Six 1-hour tutorials
Nine 4-hour pracs

Prerequisites

Additional information on this unit is available from the faculty at: