Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences

Monash University

Postgraduate - Unit

This unit entry is for students who completed this unit in 2013 only. For students planning to study the unit, please refer to the unit indexes in the the current edition of the Handbook. If you have any queries contact the managing faculty for your course or area of study.

print version

12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL

To find units available for enrolment in the current year, you must make sure you use the indexes and browse unit tool in the current edition of the Handbook.

FacultyFaculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Organisational UnitSchool of Nursing and Midwifery
OfferedClayton Second semester 2013 (Day)
Gippsland Second semester 2013 (Day)
Clayton Summer semester A 2013 (Day)
Coordinator(s)Ms Ann Kempe


This unit examines foundations of knowledge for nursing practice. Knowledge generation through research, and the application and dissemination of that knowledge, are central themes of this unit. The development of a research culture as the cornerstone of professional nursing is emphasized. Research processes from various traditions are examined and their specific relevance to nursing in diverse practice settings is explored. The significance of evidence-based nursing in the context of the contemporary health care environment is highlighted. As a key feature of this unit, knowledge transfer and translation is examined in primary, acute and rehabilitative settings. Strategies for health promotion through teaching are developed through exploration of theoretical concepts and practical application in the clinical environment.


On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:

  1. discuss the concept of knowledge generation in professional nursing;
  2. critique theories of learning;
  3. describe methodologies and principles of research relevant to nursing practice;
  4. demonstrate the generation of knowledge through the conduct of research;
  5. recommend strategies for the dissemination of knowledge to facilitate improved health outcomes;
  6. identify strategies for the translation of research evidence to nursing practice;
  7. develop and implement plans for health teaching and promotion;
  8. reflect upon, and evaluate self-performance in terms of the delivery of quality nursing care, and;
  9. develop increasingly autonomous practice in accordance with ANMC Competencies for the Registered Nurse and other professional standards.


Literature review integrating critical appraisal of evidence (3,500 words)(50%)
Teaching plan & essay (2,000 words)(20%)
Teaching session (group presentation) (15%) and reflective journal (15%)(1500 words) (overall 30%)

Chief examiner(s)

Contact hours

Students will be on campus for eight weeks in this semester as the other five weeks will be spent in clinical practice for NUR5003. The weekly on campus workload requirement for the unit will be: Face-to face and online Lectures (5 hours), Tutorials/ workshops (4 hours), Online learning activities (2 hours) over eight weeks. In addition, students will be required to undertake 195 hours self-directed learning over the semester. Please note: Students who undertake this unit in the summer semester will be on campus for 5.5 weeks intensive mode.