[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Home Monash Info News and Events Campuses and Faculties Monash University
Monash University Handbooks


Foundations of Behavioural Neuroscience (6 points)


Leader: Dr. Dianne Sheppard

Clayton Second semester 2003 (Day)
Clayton Second semester 2004 (Day)

Synopsis: This unit will use a case-based approach to cover the fundamental principles of physics, biochemistry and genetics. The material covered will describe the relationship between heritable metabolic/biochemical disturbances and behaviour. It will also introduce the basic concepts of human genetics including modes of inheritance and genetic mutations in the context of describing case studies of heritable/genetically-determined disorders (eg. Down's Syndrome, phenylketonuria, cystic fibrosis, etc.). Students will also be introduced to several generic skills that will be useful throughout their degree (eg. writing Neuropsychological case report) and perhaps also their future careers.

Assessment: Discussion topic written/oral assignment 20% and associated quizzes 5% (total 25%); Clinical Case History 12.5%; Data Mining Exercise (web-bassed) 10%; Physics practical report 12.5%; MCQ Exam 40%

Contact Hours: 4 contact hours + 8 additional hours per week

Help | Contacts | Site Map | Staff Directory | Search