Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences

Monash University

Undergraduate - Unit

This unit entry is for students who completed this unit in 2014 only. For students planning to study the unit, please refer to the unit indexes in the the current edition of the Handbook. If you have any queries contact the managing faculty for your course or area of study.

print version

6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL

Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered, or view unit timetables.

FacultyFaculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
OfferedParkville First semester 2014 (Day)
Coordinator(s)Prof. Peter Scammells


Structural Organic Chemistry lays a foundation of knowledge about the structure and reactivity of the key functional groups found in pharmaceutical compounds. These general topics are relevant to drug design, the synthesis of bioactive molecules, drug-target interactions and drug formulation.


At the end of this unit students will develop:

  1. A detailed knowledge of the structure of common functional groups contained in pharmaceuticals;
  2. A detailed knowledge of the properties of functional groups, with a particular focus on steric, electronic and acid/base properties relevant to drug discovery and formulation;
  3. An understanding of the reactivity of these functional groups;
  4. An understanding of basic reaction mechanisms, kinetics and thermodynamics;
  5. The practical ability to
    1. perform a basic chemical reaction
    2. purify the product(s)
    3. analyse and characterise the product(s).


Mid semester exam 20%, end of semester exam 50% (total theory component 70%)
Practical reports 20%, practical exam 10% (total practical component 30%)

Chief examiner(s)

Workload requirements

Contact hours for on-campus students:

  • Twenty four 1-hour lectures
  • Six 1-hour tutorials
  • Six 4-hour pracs


Additional information on this unit is available from the faculty at: