Alfred Hospital Second semester 2008 (Off-campus)
This unit will provide students with the practical knowledge required to plan and undertake a clinical research project with close attention to the highest standards of ethics and Good Research Practice. Students will also gain detailed knowledge in planning, and organizing their knowledge using methods of clinical research in a written and oral format.
On completion of the unit, the student will be able to:
- Design clinical research projects in a manner that takes account of common ethical issues and proposes satisfactory solutions to overcome them.
- Develop an application for approval by an ethics committee and understand the process and requirements of ethical approval.
- Develop an understanding of the modus operandi of major funding bodies and the manner by which applications for funding are made.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the proper management of a clinical research project and the steps needed to ensure maintenance of the highest levels of good clinical research practice.
- Develop knowledge and appreciation of the main areas of risk involving clinical research and the steps that should be taken to reduce these risks.
- Develop skills in the presentation of data in oral and written format and appropriate methods for promoting research funding.
Critical appraisal assignment 45%
Written assignments 45%
Off Campus Attendance Requirements
Block of 2.5 full days on-campus.