MPH2013 - Research methods
6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Alfred Hospital Second semester 2008 (Day)
Alfred Hospital Second semester 2008 (Off-campus)
- Introduction to research methods - quantitative and qualitative research. Defining the research question - hypotheses, types of study designs.
- Quantitative methods. What is your main outcome? Questionnaire design - construction, validity, reliability, variables).
- Study populations - defining the population, sampling/recruitment strategies.
- Sample size requirements, and Planning the analysis of the data, grant applications.
- How to critique a research proposal.
- From data to database.
- How to write the sample size calculation and data analysis section of your grant.
- Writing a budget for your grant.
- Ethics and the research grant.
On completion of this unit it is expected that students will:
- Have acquired an understanding of research methods in public health;
- Be able to design, develop and present a collaborative research protocol;
- To understand how information goes from an interview, onto a questionnaire, into the computer and into a scientific paper.
Group Assignment 40%
Written critique 60%.
15 contact hours over 2 days
Recommended: MPH1040 and MPH1041 or MPH1030 and MPH1031