Caulfield First semester 2008 (Day)
Caulfield First semester 2008 (Off-campus)
Caulfield First semester 2008 (Evening)
This unit introduces public policy and includes theories of public policy, models of decision-making, methods of evaluation and implementation. Case studies in Australian public policy will be analysed within this course.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- define a range of models and theories that help explain how public policy is made
- Analyse the role in policy making of the institutions and processes of government
- analyse the need for governments to respond creatively to both external pressures, including globalisation, and demands for greater community involvement in policy making and service delivery
- evaluate the contribution and limits of policy analysis
- evaluate the dynamics of public policy in which patterns emerge, often untidily, from both conscious decisions and the interaction of officeholders and stakeholders.
Within semester assessment: 100%
3-hour class per week