Gippsland First semester 2008 (Off-campus)
The nature of managerial work, classical and emergent management perspectives, and the changing environment of management. Theory and practice in the context of planning, organising, leading, controlling, communicating and decision making. Environmental agendas for change and learning organisations.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- develop an understanding of the linkages between management theory and management practices (and vice versa);
- develop an appreciation of the different theoretical approaches (paradigms) to the study of management;
- establish the relevance of theoretical concepts for an understanding of current management practices, problems and issues;
- gain an insight into the dynamic, complex and interdependent nature of managerial work;
- develop an awareness of major environmental pressures and challenges facing managers today.
Within semester assessment: 50%
Examination (3 hours): 50%.