Peninsula First semester 2008 (Off-campus)
Peninsula Second semester 2008 (Off-campus)
This unit will explore the current and future role of the Ambulance Paramedic, through a discussion of the impact of changes in the delivery of health care and related health issues. The student will examine local, national and international trends in and the impacts upon the provision of pre-hospital care.
On completion of this unit the student should be able to:
- Identify trends in the delivery of pre-hospital services and the impact on the role of the professional paramedic.
- Discuss the influences of a changing health care environment and population on the role of the Paramedic.
- Discuss the concept of ambulance paramedics as interdependent team members within an integrated emergency medical system.
- Describe the clinical basis of the Advanced Medical Priority Dispatch System (AMPDS) and the Communciations Centre processes.
- Relate the contemporary issues and influences of emergency medical services systems to the role of the Paramedic.
Position statements (3,000 words) 60%, assignment (2,000 words) 40%.