LAW7018 - Economic torts
6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Not offered in 2008
This course will cover
- deliberate infliction of economic loss
- interference with contractual relations [including with employee and family relations]
- conspiracy to injure
- the existence of a genus tort
- relationship of those torts with workplace relations' law
- economic losses suffered by injurious falsehood, passing-off and related Trade Practices offences
- the negligent infliction of economic loss, including accountants' and auditors' liabilities.
On completion of this subject students should
- have an understanding of, and be able to evaluate critically, the principles on which liability for torts interfering with business and economic interests are based and
- be able to analyse and understand the role of the courts and legislatures in prescribing the limits of permissible and impermissible conduct in business.
Class participation: 10%
Research assignment (6750 words): 90%.
3-hour class per week for 8 weeks