Clayton Second semester 2008 (Day)
As for HYM4180
In addition to the general objectives for fifth year defined by the School of Geography and the School of Historical Studies, students successfully completing this subject will have:
- A general grasp of the two-way interaction between social practices and the environment in the past.
- An understanding of changing Western ideas about the natural world.
- An awareness of the way that current environmental debates are based on historically-determined conceptions of the environment and of the place of humans within it.
- A grasp of the principal debates in environmental history.
- An ability to find and use a wide range of historical sources, including visual sources.
- A sophisticated grasp of the relevant historiography and of theoretical and methodological issues in environmental history.
Essay (2000 words): 25%
Research essay (5000 words): 50%
Take-home examination (2 hours): 25%
2 hour seminar per week
HSY4180, GES4180, HYM4180