Caulfield First semester 2008 (Day)
Caulfield First semester 2008 (Evening)
Caulfield Second semester 2008 (Day)
Caulfield Second semester 2008 (Evening)
An introduction to the legal environment of business. Topics selected from contract law, negligence law, partnership law and trade practices law.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- examine and describe the structure of the Australian legal system
- identify, and examine the following topics: law of negligence, with particular emphasis on the law of negligent misstatement; relevant legislation such as the Trade Practices Act, Fair Trading Act and the Goods Act; the law of contract, with particular emphasis on the formation and contents of contracts, matters affecting the validity of a contract, and remedies for breach of contract; the law of agency and partnerships
- develop effective problem solving skills, with particular emphasis on identifying and analysing legal issues; explaining and applying relevant legal rules, cases, legislation and principles to given factual situations
- develop effective communication skills, with particular emphasis on the ability to articulate a sound argument
- develop a capacity for critical thought and analysis, in particular to critically evaluate a self-selected contemporary law reform proposal or current development in business law.
Within semester assessment: 30%
3 hours per week