Caulfield Summer semester B 2008 (On-campus block of classes)
Topics include CGT assets, CGT events; calculation of net capital gains and losses; rollovers, application of the CGT regime to trusts, companies, shareholders, partnerships, and international aspects of the CGT regime.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- explain the nature and scope of gains that are potentially subject to the capital gains tax regime;
- explain the statutory framework for the taxation of capital gains;
- explain the characterization of gains as gains on revenue and capital account;
- analyse a wide range of CGT events and assets and the process of calculation of capital gains; international aspects of the regime, rollovers and the application of the regime to various entities like trusts and partnerships;
- identify developments, statutory and judicial, pertaining to the taxation of capital gains and the manner and methods employed in the application of such principles to practical situations.
Within semester assessment: 40%
Examination (Take home): 60%
Three hours per week on-campus and/or intensive mode over summer (both 39 hours in total).
BTF4460, BTF5530, BTF4230