Not offered in 2008
An analysis of the law relating to the taxation of companies and shareholders, taxation of dividends, imputation, losses, debt and equity rules, consolidation of corporate groups, liquidations, capital reductions, share buy backs and international aspects of corporate taxation.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- explain the nature and scope of the concept of corporation and corporate distributions at general law and statute;
- explain the statutory framework for the taxation of companies and shareholders and the imputation system;
- analyse the characterization of interests in companies - debt v equity
- identify corporate liquidations and some anti avoidance principles and rules designed to deal with capital and dividend streaming and substitution
- identify developments, statutory and judicial, pertaining to the taxation of companies and shareholders and the manner and methods employed in the application of such principles to practical situations.
Within semester assessment: 40%
Examination (Take home): 60%
3 hours per week
BTF4540, BTF5520, BTF4220