Master of Biomedical Science
Course code: 2970 ~ Course abbreviation: MBiomedSc part 1 ~ Total credit points required: 48 ~ 2 semester full-time, 4 semesters part-time
Course code: 2977 ~ Course abbreviation: MBiomedSc ~ Total credit points required: 96 ~ 4 semester full-time, 8 semesters part-time
Study mode and course location
On-campus (Caulfield; Clayton; Gippsland; Peninsula; or approved off-site locations)
Off-campus (Caulfield; Clayton; Gippsland; Peninsula)
The Master of Biomedical Science is designed for students interested in undertaking postgraduate research in biomedical sciences. A candidate is required to carry out a prescribed program of research for a specified period under the direct supervision of a member of the academic staff. The supervisor, in consultation with the candidate, is responsible for developing the research program to be followed by the candidate, and for reporting at regular intervals on the candidate's progress.
The MBiomedSc is a research degree which requires a candidate to submit a thesis. The thesis should embody the results of the candidate's investigation, which demonstrates independence of thought and the candidate's ability to carry out research in that discipline. A candidate may include published work directly relevant to the argument of the thesis, provided such work has been written during the period of candidature. Candidates may not present in, or in support of, a thesis any work which the candidate has presented for any other degree or diploma at this university, or any other institution, except with the permission of the faculty's Research Degrees Committee.
Students who have completed the course will demonstrate a thorough understanding of relevant research techniques in their field through a review of the relevant literature. They will demonstrate their ability, under supervision to apply relevant research techniques to their chosen field of study. Students will be able to present high-quality written work suitable for publication in appropriate scholarly journals, and be able to critically evaluate both their own and others' written work in their chosen field. Students will also be able to: 1. identify and define research questions; 2. identify the appropriate research methods to address the research questions; 3. demonstrate mastery of their chosen research methodology/methodologies; 4. demonstrate theoretical knowledge at masters level in their chosen field of biomedical science; 5. communicate their research findings in a format appropriate to their academic discipline; 6. write up their research into a high quality thesis; and 7. contribute new information or new ways of understanding information in the field of biomedical science.
MBiomedSc (part 1)
Candidates will be required to undertake a major research program constituting not less than 66% of the entire course including the submission of a thesis. The thesis should embody the results of the candidate's investigation, which demonstrates independence of thought and the candidate's ability to carry out research in that discipline. The remaining 34% of the course will comprise coursework such as a literature review and/or statistics classes, and is specified by the enrolling department.
In normal circumstances, assessment will be by submission of a 100% research thesis of approximately 70,000 words which embodies the results of an investigation carried out by the candidate, under supervision, which shows independence of thought and which demonstrates the candidate's ability to carry out research in his/her discipline. Appropriate postgraduate coursework units may be taken with the approval of the faculty board.
The minimum period of candidature is 12 months (24 months part-time). The maximum period of candidature is 24 months (or 48 months part-time).
Students who pass part 1 of the masters program but who do not wish to continue or do not achieve class 2A honours or above will be offered the exit award of the Postgraduate Diploma in Biomedical Science.
Dr Jennifer Scott, Manager (Research Degrees), telephone +61 3 9905 4313; email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.med.monash.edu.au/pgrad/research/mbiomedsci.html
Associate Professor Igor Wendt